on Taoism on Thursday 2/5...DAY 5 All PERIODS...100 points. PENCILS NEEDED!
Quiz on pp. 271-288 in The World's Religions (Judaism), Thursday 3/2,
Day 2 for Period G only; Friday 3/3, Day 3 for Periods A, B, and C
3. Taoism/Star Wars Essay Questions. Please write a three page reflective
essay on the following question: 1) Outline and describe how Yoda's teachings to Luke parallel core Taoist teachings.
From the struggles and triumphs of Luke in Empire Strikes Back, relate what lessons you might learn concerning your own development
as a mature individual.
5. Quiz on Night.
25-question objective quiz on 3/9, Day 7, Periods B, C, and G, and 3/10, Day 8, Period A.
Assignments: ***All work that is handed
in for a grade will be checked for grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.
1. Create 5 of your own original paradoxes.
Due Wednesday, 2/15, DAY 4. Here are some examples from the Tao Te Ching:
- "The world is shaped by flow; It cannot be shaped by the self.
Trying to change it, you damage it; Trying to possess it, you lose it."
- "To reduce someone's influence, first expand it;
To reduce someone's
force, first increase it."
- "The Tao can be looked at but cannot be seen;
It can be listened
to but cannot be heard;
It can be held but cannot be touched;"
2. Click on the link, "American Academy of Medical Acupuncture,"
and read the article. Answer the following:
1. Define acupuncture.
2. What is medical acupuncture?
3. Identify at least 10 different conditions that are appropriate for acupuncture therapy.
4. Describe the needles used in acupuncture and if there's pain invovled?
3. Read pp. 271-288 of The World's Religions.
Refer to below link, "Reading Guide," for assistance.
4. Compare and contrast the five different sects
of modern Judaism: Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Hasidism, and Kabbalah. Be sure to identify the history
behind each denomination (beginnings, places, founder, etc.). 2-3 typed pages. 100 points. Do not plagiarize.
Refer to "Writing Research Papers" link on Navigation Bar (top
left). Due in class, . E-mailed papers will not be accepted.
5. Click on below link, "Synagogues and Temples,"
and answer the following questions:
1. What is a "shul?"
2a. Why do some Reform Jews refer to a
"Temple?" b. Why do some Traditional
Jews find this offensive?
3. Why aren't collections plates passed
around during a
4. What is the "Aron Kodesh?"